Sunday, September 2, 2012

Globally Connecting to Other Learners

This year we will be participating in a global learning collaboration called Quadblogging.  The Quadblogging project matches four classrooms from around the world to share their blogs and share their learning. The students will have a chance to get to know one another by reading and commenting on each partners' blog. This is a wonderful opportunity for them to gain an awareness of and participate in our global learning community.  

Each partner's class will be assigned a week where their blog will become the focus of the group.  The other three classes will use that time to read and share their comments.  The project continues with this four week rotation from September through December.  I am excited about the possibilities this offers as we connect and discover how children from around the world learn.


Our Quadblogging partners are from:

  • Norwich, England
  • Formby, England
  • & Gisborne, New Zealand
Along the way, I met a wonderful teacher/administrator from 
  • Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada.  
We will be blogging with her 2nd graders too.

For more information and links to the partner blogs, go to the "Quadblogging Friends" tab at the top of this page.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. Koch -- I looked up the 4 cities on Google maps. Norwich and Formby are on opposite sides of England. Gisborne is the farthest away and Rocky Mountain House is the closest to us.

    Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caleb,

    Great "quality comment!" You are doing such a good job on your comments. Once we get going with our new Quadbogging friends, I think you will even be ready to comment on their blogs from home. Hold off commenting there for now so we can talk about it a little this week. You are welcome to go exploring on their blogs though.

    I think Google Maps is such a cool application. Did you try zooming in on the map markers? You can get down to the street level in 3D and see the outside of most of the schools. One school is kind of behind some trees and shrubs, so you can't see it from the street.-- I can't remember which one????

    Did you remember any facts about your introduction partner? If you do, try posting a fact or two on our A Day blog. I just read one from Luke a few minutes ago.

    Did you have a fun weekend? Did you do anything special? Enjoy the start of your week and I will see you on Wednesday!

    Mrs. Koch


    ReplyDelete
  3. On Saturday, I played soccer and our team won five to zero. Sunday morning, we went to church. There was a big speech about a helper program we're going to do with homeless families in our neighborhood. Did you know that there are 600 homeless kids in the North Kansas City School District? Then in the afternoon I went to Cora's mad scientist birthday party. We made slime and shot off a rocket. I got ready for my birthday which is today. How was your weekend?

    From, Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caleb,

    It sounds like a really fun weekend! I hope you had a Happy Birthday! How did I not see you today? You should have stopped in for that "Happy Birthday" hug or high-five!

    You will have to tell me more about your helper program. I knew we had many homeless families north of the river, but I didn't realize there were so many homeless children here. Helping others is an amazing thing. Many people do not ever discover the power one person can have to make a positive change in the world. I'm glad you will have this opportunity. Be sure and keep me posted on what you are doing.

    Have a great Tuesday.

    Mrs. Koch

    P.S. Great comment Caleb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caleb,

    I am interested to know more about the helper program you are doing for the homeless families in the NKCSD. My SAGE class is working on different issues they feel they can make a difference in close to home and far away. Is there someone we can contact at your church to get more information?
    Mrs. Perez

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mrs. Perez,

    It was nice for you to take the time to write to me. I'm sorry but I can't really give you a name of someone at my church because it is against our blog rules to give out any personal information about ourselves or anyone else.

    Mrs. Koch said you are a safe contact person, but I can't share the information here on our blog. Maybe I can have my parents or Mrs. Koch email you some information.

    Caleb

    ReplyDelete